I love a good creamy pasta and this Creamy Shiitake Mushroom Rigatoni absolutely hits the spot for that rich craving. I’ve been working on creating new sauces and this mushroom based cream sauce is spot on, made with lemon, thyme, garlic and the umami flavors of shiitake mushrooms! The mushrooms bring in that delicious rich flavor while the lemon brings in refreshing undertones. I’m so excited to be working with Sugimoto dried shiitake mushrooms to bring you this fun recipe!
Rehydrating Dried Mushrooms
If you’ve never used dried mushrooms in a recipe, they can seem overwhelming. But don’t worry, they just need to be rehydrated and then can be used just like fresh mushrooms. There are a few ways you can rehydrate mushrooms. For the freshest flavor, Rinse the mushrooms with cold water. Next, add mushrooms to a jar and cover with water. Place in the refrigerator overnight to use the next day. Some mushrooms can be rehydrated within 10-20 minutes if you need to use them right away. For this recipe, I removed the stems from the Sugimoto shiitake mushrooms after soaking and sliced the caps thin for the pasta sauce.
To make the rigatoni, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Next, saute the butter on medium heat in a medium skillet. Add onions to cook down then add the mushrooms. Next, add in the garlic and thyme to cook.
Once the mushrooms and onions have cooked down a bit, you can add in the cream and cheese.
Creamy Shiitake Mushroom Rigatoni Sauce
I used an aged white cheddar for this sauce. You could also use a parmesan or other rich white cheese. Once the cheese is added, the sauce thickens up and brings all the flavors together. Sprinkle on the lemon zest to finish it off. Grab the full recipe below!
- 1 Package of Rigatoni
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1/2 Onion, Chopped
- 1 Cup of Sugimoto Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon of Minced Garlic
- 4 Sprigs of Thyme
- 1 1/2 Cups of Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup of White Cheddar or Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/2 Lemon Zest
- Salt + Pepper
- Rehydrate Sugimoto Shiitake Mushrooms. Rinse mushrooms then place in a jar with water. Refridgerate overnight or for 8 hours.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Slice mushrooms and onion into slices.
- Saute butter in a medium skillet on medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add shiitake mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add thyme and garlic then sauté for 1 minute.
- Add cream and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add cheese and saute for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over cooked rigatoni.
- Garnish with lemon zest, grated cheese and thyme.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 363mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
I hope you enjoy this amazingly rich and creamy dish! It’s full of flavor and will bring a new level of fun to your next dinner party. xo, Bri
This post is sponsored by Sugimoto. All opinions are my own.