Have you ever made pizza dough at home? It is way easier than I ever thought. I started making pizza dough at home a couple years ago after our kiddo was born. I love making a fresh pizza any night of the week. It takes hardly any time to prepare and tastes so much better than frozen or store made pizza dough. I started adding whole wheat flour to the recipe to make it a little healthier.
You really don’t need much to make pizza dough. I use white flour, wheat flour, olive oil, water, yeast, sugar and salt for the best dough.
First add all dry ingredients to a mixer and start the mixer. I slowly add the olive oil and the water.
The dough should look like the above consistency. Not too wet and not too dry. If it is too dry add a little more water or oil. If it is too wet, add a little more flour. The recipe below should work out fine but if your measurements are off a little just check the dough consistency.
Once the dough is ready, add flour to a surface and knead the dough three times. Then cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for one hour. This recipe makes enough for two pizzas, so after the dough rises you can cut it in half. I typically freeze one half and use the other. One half of the dough feeds our family of three with lunch leftovers. If I have friends over I will make both pizzas.
Once the dough has risen for at least an hour kneed it two more times and roll it out with a rolling pin. Before I had a rolling pin I used my hands or a large water bottle. (whatever you need to do!)
Next, add your sauce. I use jarred pasta sauce but you could make your own or use pizza sauce.
And there you have it! Fresh made pizza right out of your own oven. The recipe was adapted from Bobby Flay’s pizza dough recipe.
- 2 cups of Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 cups of white flour (save 1/4 cup for dusting the cookie sheet)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil for dough
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil for baking
- Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe.html?oc=linkback
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Add all dry ingredients to a mixer and start the mixer.
- Slowly add the olive oil and water.
- Add flour to a working surface.
- Knead the dough three times.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.
- Spread 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil on a pizza pan.
- Knead the dough three times and roll out the dough.
- Apply sauce and toppings.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes at 400F.
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions are my own.