I attended a media event by Melissa’s Produce to learn about the Viva Desserts! Cookbook By Nicole Presley and love this cookbook! It is full of traditional and reinvented sweets from her Mexican-American Kitchen and I’m obsessed! I’ve always been a fan of Mexican desserts but have never learned how to make any. So far, I’ve made two of her recipes and they both turned out to be absolutely delicious. We loved the Strawberry Pistachio Flan and the Spinkle Cookies!
During the media event, Nicole taught us how to make her Mexican Chocolate Cookies and her Strawberry Pistachio Flan. Both recipes looked so good. I immediately went to the store to grab ingredients for the flan. I had never made it before and always wanted to try making it.
Strawberry Pistachio Flan
This flan is so creamy and delicious. It’s a beautiful dessert to share for a girls night in or a nice family dinner. The kids and I made it love how it turned out. Here is her recipe:
- ½ cup cajeta (caramel)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 5 large eggs
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ tablespoon pistachio extract
- ½ tablespoon Mexican vanilla extract
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup strawberries, stems removed
- ¾ cup shelled and roughly chopped pistachios, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil several cups water, enough to fill a large glass baking dish halfway.
2. Spray 8 (6-ounce) glass custard cups with nonstick baking spray. Fill the bottom of each cup with 1 tablespoon cajeta.
3. In a blender add all remaining ingredients except ¼ cup pistachios. Blend for 1 minute or until completely combined.
4. Pour evenly among baking cups. Sprinkle the tops with remaining ¼ cup pistachios.
5. Cover cups with aluminum foil and place inside a large baking dish. Fill baking dish halfway with boiling hot water. Bake for 1 hour.
6. Remove cups from the water bath and uncover. Let rest for 2 hours.
7. Invert cups onto a plate. Slowly lift cups up away from plate. Chill in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 9g
We used a little less strawberry and omitted the pistachios in ours. It turned out amazing!
Her Mexican Chocolate Cookies along with the rest of the Viva Desserts Cookbook recipes look so tasty! I can’t wait to try more of her tasty recipes. I hope you enjoy too! xo, Bri