Acorn Squash, on squash, on squash! Okay maybe there’s just 2 types of squash in this Sausage & Zucchini Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe but I couldn’t stop saying that when I was making this! These are full of flavor and packed with veggies. If you’re attending any fall potlucks, you’ve got to bring these.
Cooking Acorn Squash
Acorn squash is one of those things that tastes really good when it is cooked right but if it isn’t I’m not much of a fan. I’ve under cooked it before and it is just too tough. For this recipe I cooked it at 400 for about 45 minutes to really make sure it was cooked through. You may have to adjust depending on how big the squash is. Mine was fairly large.
When I was at the store, I picked up some breakfast sausage and thought of pigs in a blanket flavors. I’m sure that may seem odd but the sweet and savory go really well together.
Mix the Ingredients
As I was cooking the sausage, I had a pot of rice cooking too. I caramelized some yellow onion then added the shredded zucchini to cook it down. Once all of the ingredients were cooked, I mixed the sausage, onion, zucchini and rice in a bowl. Then I filled the squash and cooked them for another 10 minutes just to melt the flavors together. I topped each half with chopped cilantro for some added freshness.
I love how pretty these turned out and they taste even better! To serve these, I found it best to slice them down the middle and add back any topping that falls out. These will also pair really well with this Jalapeño Cornbread. Check out the full Sausage & Zucchini Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe below!
- 1 Large Acorn Squash
- 1 Yellow Onion, Sliced
- 2 Large Zucchini, Peeled and Spiraled
- 1 Package of Breakfast Sausage (~10 links)
- 1 Cup of White Rice, Cooked
- Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Butter
- 1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped Cilantro
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400
- Slice acorn squash in half
- Brush on butter and brown sugar
- Bake in a pan with 1 inch of water in the bottom (to keep moist) for 45 minutes
- Cook rice according to package
- Saute onion in olive oil until caramelized, add salt
- Add zucchini to onions to cook down for 5 minutes
- Put zucchini and onions in a mixing bowl
- Chop sausage into half inch pieces then cook
- Add sausage, salt, pepper and rice to onion and zucchini mixture then stir
- Add mixture to cooked acorn squash
- Bake for 10 more minutes
- Top with cilantro
I hope you enjoy this Sausage & Zucchini Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe! Happy Fall Flavors! xo – Bri