One of my favorite flavors of the summer is lemon. Everything just tastes more fresh with lemon, doesn’t it? I made a batch of lemon crinkle cookies from The Kitchen Paper for a summer picnic recently and they disappeared before I knew it. After that moment, I realized I needed to get a recipe up on the blog to share with all of you. This time I mixed it up a bit and made the cookies gluten free with a super cool new baking flour from Bob’s Red Mill. These cookies disappeared out of my kitchen just as quick.
My parents have a lemon tree in their backyard the size of a kids playhouse. It is full of ripe lemons right now and I have been taking a giant grocery bag home every week. I have been adding lemon to just about everything I cook these days. These lemon crinkle cookies really pack a punch since they have lemon juice and lemon zest in the mixture.
What’s this Gluten Free Baking Flour?
This flour is actually pretty cool. It’s made from white rice flour, whole grain brown rice flour, potato starch, whole grain sorghum flour, tapioca and a bit of xanthan gum. After years of recipe making, Bob’s Red Mill came up with this fine-tuned flour awesome for all your gluten free needs. It can be used in place of the flour you typically use for your favorite recipes.
One of the key parts of this lemon crinkle cookie recipe is combining the lemon zest with the white sugar. Make sure to really mix it up well. You can use your fingers or a spoon to really help release the flavor and juices of the rind.
My kiddo and I love to bake together. It can be a bit tricky cooking with a toddler but I find the baking to be a little bit easier. There are more detailed steps and parts of the process that seem easier for my kiddo to help with. She always loves to watch the mixer do its magic. She also does a lot of the pouring and stirring. The image below shows her helping with the powdered sugar. After the cookie dough is made and chilled it is rolled into powdered sugar. Okay so maybe she is just eating the powdered sugar.
I hope you enjoy the recipe below. It is super yummy and a really fun cookie to make.
- 2 Cups of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 3 tsp Lemon Zest
- ½ Cup Butter (Room Temperature)
- 2 Eggs (Room Temperature)
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
- Rub the zest into the white sugar with fingers or a spoon to combine. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the lemon juice and vanilla extract until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Chill the dough for 30-45 minutes.
- Add Powdered Sugar to a small bowl.
- Use a cookie scoop to roll the dough into into 1/2 inch balls and roll each ball in powdered sugar until covered.
- Arrange 2" apart on a baking sheet. (use parchment or a liner)
- Bake for ~12 minutes.
This is a sponsored post with Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions are my own.