Southern California’s largest fine arts festival, Mission Federal ArtWalk brings art to all ages with KidsWalk, a series of hands-on projects presented by local organizations. This annual installation is a central feature of the 17-block Little Italy arts festival with participants include arts nonprofits and local museums.
Have you been to ArtWalk? I am hoping to take my kiddo to explore and play at KidsWalk next weekend. Hope to see you there! Check out all the details below.
“ArtWalk is all about unleashing the artist within and you can never start too early,” said Sandi Cottrell, managing director for ArtWalk San Diego.
KidsWalk will include:
- Make an “art pennant” with recycled materials, with local not-for-profit ArtReach.
- Birch Aquarium will bring recycled items for children to illustrate a pledge to protect the environment.
- Learn about the native critters of San Diego Bay and create a recyclable craft with The Living Coast Discovery Center.
- Mission Federal Credit Union will give children the opportunity to decorate a bank and take it home to start saving for the future.
- Create colorful chalk drawings, play with bubbles and receive free temporary tattoos at the The New Children’s Museum booth.
- Make a mini-masterpiece with Rare Hare Studio, which offers art classes to children ages preschool through 8th grade.
- The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center will host a craft project bring science to life using Flipsticks, a hands-on optical illusion.
- Join in on drum circles throughout the day with Rhythmworks. The organization will also help children take the rhythm home by creating their own instrument.
Several other organizations and activities include Mission Valley YMCA, The Cambridge School, Villa Musica, Sophia Isadora Academy of Circus Arts, pre-professional arts program The Coronado School of the Arts and early fine art instructional Art with Larisee.
April 26 – 27th
11AM – 6 PM
The KidsWalk area is located at W. Date and Union Streets, at the Washington Elementary School playground in Little Italy, San Diego.
About Mission Federal ArtWalk
In its 30th year, Mission Federal ArtWalk brings more than 120,000 spectators and art buyers dozens of musical performances, interactive elements and 17 blocks of art to enjoy in the heart of Little Italy. The two-day fine arts festival is well-known for connecting artistic communities, while creating the opportunity for individuals to fall in love with original pieces of art. Mission Federal ArtWalk is held from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. with a packed schedule of opportunities for individuals and families to engage in, create and purchase art. This free event features thousands of pieces of artwork created by artists from California, neighboring states, and Mexico.
Supporting local businesses. All opinions are my own.